Painful joints can be excruciatingly discomforting, even to the point of immobilization. For many people, the way to relieve pain in their joints is through painkillers such as aspirin and ibuprofen. But these drugs may not deliver the desired results or have side effects that are detrimental to your health. Alternatively, people suffering from joint pains can get some much-deserved relief through natural treatments and drug-free remedies. If you are interested in discovering natural ways to reduce your joint pains, keep reading. First we’ll cover the different causes of joint pain and then we’ll focus on the supplements.
What Causes Joint Pain?
Joint pain can be as a result of different reasons. It could be natural, disease-induced, or the effect of lifestyle choices. Some of the potential causes of joint pain include:
- The effect of age: Aging brings about drastic changes to the function of our body, one of which is the deterioration of the cartilage in the joints. As the cartilage gets damaged, the joints experience more wear and tear, which means more aches and pains.
- Joint pain can also be due to poor posture.
- Traumatic experiences such as injuries and impact from accidents.
- Joint pain may also occur because of overuse. Athletes and fitness enthusiasts may end up feeling pain in their joints if they overwork their body without much-needed rest. Not only that, using the wrong gear for sports and fitness activities can cause pains in the joints and other parts of the body.
- Arthritis can also cause overall achiness and pain in the joints due to the inflammation of the joints.
Symptoms of Joint Pain
So how can you tell if the pain you are going through is related to your joints? Here are a few symptoms to look out for:
- Joint swelling
- Redness of the joints
- Tender joints
- Locking of the joints
- Stiffness of the joints
- Joint warmth
- Immobility of the joints
- Weakness of the joints
Natural Ways to Get Relief From Joint pain
As we mentioned above, there are a bunch of different ways you can get relief from joint pain. Over-the-counter medications, prescriptions drugs, etc. But if you are looking for more natural ways to get some relief, here are a few ideas:
- Hot and Cold Therapy Packs – One of the best ways of getting instant relief from joint pains is by using the “Hot & Cold” method. To do this, a hot therapeutic gel pack is placed on the affected area for twenty minutes. Follow this up immediately with an ice pack for the next twenty minutes. A good habit is to apply a hot and cold regimen on the affected areas for a minimum of 15 minutes every day. It can help reduce the pain and lower the stiffness in joints.
- Epsom Salt Bath – A relaxing dip in Epsom Salts is an old but effective way of getting some joint pain relief. Epsom salts are rich in magnesium and sulfates and do a great job at penetrating the skin to lower muscle spasms, relax tense areas, and reduce inflammation. You can use Epsom salts as a compress applied directly to the affected area, or you can add it to warm bathwater in which you soak for a minimum of twenty minutes.
- Green Tea – Green tea is densely packed with powerful anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that are thought to help in relieving joint pain.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Essential fatty acids such as the omega-3 oils found in fish and other food sources promote the production of anti-inflammatory chemicals which may help to lower stiffness in the joints and reduce pain.
- Glucosamine – Glucosamine occurs naturally in cartilage and can help to reduce joint pain. A bone broth is the best way to supply the body glucosamine naturally. For a good bone broth recipe, visit Dr. Mercola’s website.
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D is an essential ingredient in the formation of bones and can help to lower joint pains. Eating vitamin D-rich food such as eggs and fish as well as getting enough sunlight can provide the nutrients your body needs. But you can also use supplements, especially vitamin D3.
- Anti-inflammatory Herbs – Certain inflammation-fighting herbs, such as ginger, turmeric, and Boswellia, can help to reduce inflammation in every part of the body. While you can get the anti-inflammatory benefits by consuming these herbs in their natural form, they are all available in supplement form and generally come in higher doses and can pack more of a punch.
- Essential Oils – Peppermint essential oil and eucalyptus oil have been found to provide relief for joint pain. When applied to swollen and inflamed areas, they can help to reduce the swelling, heat, and discomfort through their menthol effects.
Joint pains can be extremely discomforting and are definitely an annoying part of getting older. But as you can see, there are a lot of natural ways you can get relief from it. If you have suffered from joint pains before, or maybe you still do, we’d love to hear from you. What do you do to get relief? Anything missing from our list? Let us know! Just use the comment box below. Until next time.